The Scheme shall be known as ‘Scheme for Financial Assistance for Veteran Artists’. The Scheme is meant for improving the financial and socio-economic status of the old artistes and scholars who have contributed significantly in their specialized fields of arts, letters etc. in their active age or are still contributing in the field of arts, letters etc. but due to old age they have to lead a miserable life or are in penury condition.
Under the Scheme, the following two types of cases/requests will be covered:-
- (i).Existing beneficiaries getting monthly artistes pension under the 1961 Scheme of ‘Financial Assistance to Persons Distinguished in Letters, Arts and such other walks of life who may be in indigent circumstances’ as amended from time to time; and
- (ii).Fresh cases of artistes, writers, etc. who are eligible for a grant/monthly financial assistance under the extant guidelines of the Scheme.
2.Eligibility Criteria for monthly Artistes Pension :-
- To be eligible for assistance under the Scheme, a person's contribution to art and letters etc. must be of significance. Traditional scholars who have made significant contribution in their fields would also be eligible notwithstanding the absence of any published works.
- Personal income of the applicant (including income of the spouse) must not exceed Rs.4,000/- (Rupees four thousand only) per month or annual income of Rs.48,000/- (Rupees forty eight thousand only) [This excludes artiste pension assistance amount already getting by a beneficiary from the Government (i.e. concerned State Govt./UT Administration and/or Ministry of Culture)].
- The applicant should not be less than 60 (sixty) years of age (This does not apply in the case of spouse).
- The applicant artiste is getting pension of at least Rs.500/- per month from the concerned State Government/UT Administration or are recommended by the Zonal Cultural Centres, Ministry of Culture, for the artists of their members State where State Pension is not there.
- The applicant artistes should not be getting financial assistance under other Scheme of the Ministry viz. Repertory Grant etc.
3.Procedure for Submission of Applications :-
The eligible artistes may submit their applications in prescribed form enclosing therewith the following requisite documents. The applicant artists who are getting pension of atleast Rs.500/- per month from the concerned State Govt./UT Administration may forward their application through respective State Government/UT Administrations with their recommendations. Zonal Cultural Centers, Ministry of Culture will recommend the applications of Artists of their member States/UTs, where there is no provision of Artists Pension.
4. Documents required to be enclosed with the application form :-
[Note: All documents must be in English or Hindi. Documents in other than English or Hindi should be accompanied with typed English translation].
- A recent (not older than six months) clear & coloured passport size photograph of the applicant to be affixed on the specified place in the application form;
- Self-attested copy of any one document from the following listed documents for address proof:-:-
(a) Aadhaar Card issued by Unique Identification Authority of India(UIDAI);
(b)Elector’s photo identity card;
(d) Driving License;
(e) Electricity Bill^;
(f) Landline telephone or broadband connection bill^;
(g) Water Bill^;
(h) Consumer gas connection card or book or piped gas bill^;
(i) Bank account statement^
(j) Domicile certificate issued by the Government;
(k) Passport of the spouse;
(l) Post office pass book having address of the applicant;
(m)Property registration document
[^ Should not be more than three months old on the date of application]
- Self-attested copy of any one document from the following listed documents for proof of Date of Birth:-
(a) Aadhaar Card issued by UIDAI;
(c) Elector’s photo identity card;
(e) Driving License;
(f) Birth Certificate issued by the Municipal Authority or any office authorized to issue Birth and Death Certificate by the Registrar of Birth and Deaths;
(g) Marriage certificate issued by Registrar of Marriages;
(h) Matriculation/10thclass certificate or mark sheet of recognized Board;
(i) Domicile certificate issued by the Government.
[Note: Certificate enclosed by an applicant in support of Date of Birth issued by a Doctor/any other authority certifying age on the basis of physical appearance of the applicant will not be accepted and application of such applicant will be rejected summarily].
- Self-attested copy of Aadhaar Card issued by UIDAI.
- Original copy of Income Certificate in the prescribed format [Annexure-I) of the Application Form] issued by the Competent Authority of the State/UTs concerned.
[Note: The Competent Authority for issue of Income Certificate in various States/Union Territories is given in Annexure-II of the Application Form].
- Copies of relevant documents which support the applicant’s contributions made in the field of Art, Culture etc. or awards, recognition, or distinction received by the applicant from Central/State Government/Union Territory or any prominent Literary or Arts Society.
- Duly filled-in and signed prescribed Bank Authorization letter (Annexure-III of the Application Form) which is verified & signed by the Manager of the concerned Bank (in original).
- Recommendation letter obtained from the Culture Department of concerned Stated Government/UT Administrations in the prescribed format [Part-II of the Application Form]. The recommendation letters from concerned Zonal Cultural Centers, Ministry of Culture to be attached with the application in respect of Artist belonging to States/UTs where there is no provision of Artists Pension in the prescribed format [Part-II of the Application Form].
The application may also be made online through using the Registration/login Page of Culture Scheme Monitoring System (CSMS) http://csms.nic.in/login/index.php on the website of the Ministry of Culture www.indiaculture.nic.in under the heading of ‘MOC Schemes Application’.
Till the Ministry of Culture allows/develops fully end-to-end receiving online application process, the hard copy of duly filled-in application form for award of Artistes Pension along with all the necessary enclosures as mentioned in the application form may be sent to “The Director, South Central Zonal Cultural Centre, 56/1, Civil Lines, Opposite MLA’s Hostel, Nagpur, Maharashtra, Pin- 440001” through respective State Government/UT Administrations/Zonal Cultural Centers with their recommendations in the prescribed format as mentioned above.
Note: 1. All entries in the application form should be legible and filled clearly. Incomplete applications and applications without the recommendation of respective State Government/UT Administrations/Zonal Cultural Centers and necessary enclosures as mentioned in the application form will not be entertained, in any respect and rejected summarily. Each page of the application and enclosures should be serially numbered and signed by the applicant. Further the page number of the relevant document should clearly be indicated on the check list..
Note: 2. Ministry of Culture may make such changes in the Application Form as may be felt necessary from time to time.
Note: 3. All disputes between the Ministry/Central Govt./Deptt. entrusted with the task of disbursement of artists pension and the artists pensioner under the Scheme shall be subject to Jurisdiction of Courts at Delhi only.:-
5. Nature of Financial Assistance :-
Financial assistance from the Government may be in the form of monthly allowance. Such allowance given to the Artistes recommended under the Centre- State Quota will be shared by the Centre and State Government/UT Administration concerned, with the latter paying a monthly allowance of at least Rs.500/- per month per beneficiary. The monthly allowance contributed by the Central Government in such cases shall not exceed Rs.5500/- per month per beneficiary. In any circumstances the contribution of Central Government and State Government/UT Administration altogether will not exceed Rs.6000/- per month per beneficiary in which contribution of State Government/UT Administration should be at least Rs.500/- per month per beneficiary. Out of Rs.6000/-, the monthly contribution of allowance of Central Government will be less to the extent the monthly contribution of allowance being provided to the applicant by State Government/UT Administration.[eg. If State Government is already providing Rs.1000/- per month pension to an artiste recommended to get financial assistance from the Central Government under this Scheme, in that case the contribution of Central Government would be only Rs.5000/- per month].
In respect of State Govt./UT Administration where there is no provision of Artists Pension, Rs. 6000/- per month will be paid as Artist Pension by the Central Government.
6. Selection of Applicants for award of Artists Pension :-
The applications of eligible artists found to be complete in all respects will be placed before Expert Committee constituted by Ministry of Culture under the Scheme after getting physical inspection/verification of the applicants done by officer(s) of the Ministry of Culture or one of the organizations of Ministry of Culture. The Expert Committee will comprise heads of various cultural organisations under Ministry of Culture and also assisted by a number of eminent artistes in different fields of art and culture who have proven their expertise in their respective fields, as decided by Ministry of Culture from time to time.
The Expert Committee will consider the applications in terms of extant guidelines of the Scheme and recommend the names of deserving candidates for award of Artistes Pension solely on merit considering financial position and eminence etc. of the applicant artistes. The recommendations of the Expert Committee are to be examined by the Administration Division with reference to the Scheme guidelines and the rules of the Govt. as also availability of fund under the Scheme to facilitate an appropriate decision by the Competent Authority. The cases of all the recommended candidates will be submitted finally for getting approval of Competent Authority who will be one level above to the Chairperson of the Expert Committee. Before release of financial assistance to the approved candidates, concurrence of Internal Finance Division shall be obtained.
7. Disbursement of artists pension :-
Monthly Artistes Pension to the approved existing beneficiaries (i.e. pensioner) and new artistes to be included in the beneficiaries list subsequent to the recommendation of Expert Committee and thereafter approval of the Competent Authority, will be disbursed by the Ministry of Culture through Public Financial Management System (PFMS)/Direct Benefit Transfer(DBT) or through Service Provider (appointed by Ministry of Culture for disbursement of Artists Pension) directly into their bank account subject to receiving the following documents mandatorily online on the email of Artistes Pension Section of the Ministry i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com and after examination/scrutiny, the same are found to be in order
- Every Year in November, Digital Life Certificate (DLC) of the beneficiary processed through Jeevan Pramaan Portal (https://jeevanpramaan.gov.in) by using necessary information like Aadhaar number, Mobile number and Pension Payment Order (PPO) displayed by the Ministry on its website [Till the time the Aadhaar Card is made mandatory by the Government for individual residing in the State of Assam, Meghalaya and Jammu & Kashmir, they may submit coloured scanned copy of their original Life Certificate]; and
- Every Five (05) Years, Coloured scanned copy of original Income Certificate in the prescribed format [Annexure-I of application form] issued by the concerned Competent Authority of the States/UTs [Annexure-II of application form].
The beneficiaries will have to furnish any other requisite information/document(s) as sought by the Ministry from time to time. In case the requisite documents sought by the Ministry are not received from a beneficiary, the pension will not be released to him/her. Further, if any discrepancy is found in the documents furnished by the beneficiary, the pension may not be released or stopped forthwith till such time the discrepancy is rectified.
8. Renewal of financial assistance to existing beneficiaries :-
Subject to the above provisions the recurring monthly allowance sanctioned under the Scheme to the existing beneficiaries shall be for such period as may be determined by the Central Government and/or may be continued on year-to-year basis on receipt of Digital Life Certificate (DLC) and Income Certificate from them as mentioned in para 7 above.
9. Discontinuance of allowance :-
If the financial means of a recipient improve beyond Rs.4000/- (Rupees four thousand only) per month or annual income of Rs.48,000/- (Rupees forty eight thousand only) [This excludes artiste pension assistance amount already getting by a beneficiary from the Government (i.e. concerned State Govt./UT Administration and/or Ministry of Culture)], allowance under the Scheme will be discontinued forthwith without any notice to the recipient. Government may also at its discretion terminate the allowance after giving three months notice to the recipient.
Any recipient may also relinquish his/her right to receive allowance by giving written notice to the Government. In such cases, the allowance will be discontinued with effect from the date of his/ her letter of relinquish.
10. Pension to the spouse in case of death of beneficiary :-
In case of death of a beneficiary getting artistes pension, the financial assistance may be transferred, at the discretion of the Central Government, in the name of the spouse of the beneficiary till life if such request application is received in the Ministry of Culture from the spouse along with the under-mentioned documents within the period of one year from the date of death of the beneficiary artiste. After the period of one year, the claim for transfer of pension in the name of spouse will stand forfeited and no request in this regard shall be entertained:-
- Copy of death certificate of late beneficiary in original or self-attested;
- Documentary proof to support that the late beneficiary was getting artistes pension;
- Legal heir certificate in the prescribed proforma issued by the Competent Authority and an affidavit from SDM or 1st Class Magistrate in proforma;
- Self-attested copy of Digital Life Certificate (DLC) of the spouse processed through Jeevan Pramaan Portal (https://jeevanpramaan.gov.in);
- Self-attested copy of latest Income Certificate of the spouse in the prescribed format [Annexure-I of the Application Form)] issued by the concerned Competent Authority of the States/UTs [Annexure-II of the Application Form];
- Self-attested copy of Aadhaar Card of spouse issued by UIDAI;
- Self-attested copy of any document in support of address proof of the spouse as mentioned in para 4(ii) above
- An undertaking that he/she is not getting financial assistance under other Schemes of the Ministry of Culture or other Ministry/Department of Central Government for the same purpose.
- Bank Authorization Letter in the prescribed format (Annexure-III of Application Form)
The financial assistance may be transferred in the name of spouse after getting physical inspection/verification of the applicant done through officer(s) of the Ministry of Culture or one of the organizations of Ministry of Culture and finding affirmative report, examination of the request of spouse in consultation with IFD of the Ministry and finally obtaining the approval of the Competent Authority.
The following time-lines are prescribed for prompt process of such requests, subsequent to receiving the same from spouse along with the requisite documents in the Ministry and found to be complete in all respects:-
- Physical inspection/verification: Three weeks;
- Concurrence of Integrated Finance Division (IFD) after affirmative report established on physical verification: Two weeks
[if IFD seeks some clarification/document, the prescribed period will be counted after the same are received from spouse or Administrative Division of the Ministry];
- Approval of the Competent Authority after concurrence of IFD: One week; and
- Pension starting to the spouse: From consequent month after approval of the competent authority.
11. Administration of the Scheme :-
The Scheme will be implemented by the Ministry with the support of all Zonal Cultural Centres and SCZCC, Nagpur will be the main coordinator. The Ministry reserves the right to modify the provisions of the Scheme at any time. In order to implement the Scheme in better perspective, the Scheme Guidelines will be circulated widely through State Governments/UT Administrations along with sharing the data of beneficiaries of Central Government with them.
The revised guidelines will come into effect from the date of issue of the order i.e., 12.10.2022.